NTOP : Installation et configuration d'NTOP (Network TOP)
This is a tool to collect the network information with simple configurations. Users may use the web browser to access the current network views that include charts and statistics.
ntop is available on most linux distros. Below are the steps tested on Ubuntu 8.10 Linux. I am sure that ntop is available for RPM based distro like CentOS.
apt-get install ntop /etc/init.d/ntop -i eth0 start
Replace eth0 with the network interface name. The system will maintain a database of the network information in the /var/lib/ntop directory. Create the default admin user with;
- Enter the admin user password.
- View ntop
The ntop results can be viewed with a web browser pointing to any of the URL address :
The ntop screen should have the following main menus:
- About: What is ntop, credits, documentations and configurations.
- Summary: Traffic, Hosts, Network load, network flows
- All protocols: Traffic, Throughput, Activity
- IP: Summary, Traffic directions, Local
- Utils: Data dump, View log
- Plugins: Lots of plugins to enable or configure
- Admin: Configure, Shutdown
2.1 Startup settings
To change the ntop server startup settings, Select Admin ->Configure ->Startup options in the web interface.
Edit the changes as needed and save.